begins in 1909, when she was built by William Fife,
at the request of the Duke of Medinacelli, a close
friend of the King of Spain, Alphonse XIII.
William Fife designed Tuiga in the image of
Hispania, so that the two 15-metres could race
together on equal terms. The resemblance was so
strong that it was very difficult to tell them
apart. The building of the ship took only six
Tuiga collected a long succession of second places,
always behind the royal Spanish yacht. From these
results and their similar designs, these two vessels
created a lot of questioning, to such a point that
rumours abounded that the owner preferred to "curb"
his yacht, not wishing to beat his King and friend,
Alphonse XIII, a situation that would obviously have
put him in an embarrassing position.
After having been meticulously restored in the
Fairlie Restorations ship yard, in England, under
the care of specialist Duncan Walker, Tuiga is today
moored at the pontoon of her new owner, the Yacht
Club de Monaco.