Peterborough Canoe Company, founded in 1892 by William H. Hill and
Elihu Edwards, manufactured wooden canoes in a factory located at
the corner of King and Water Streets in the city of Peterborough,
Ontario, Canada. The company was managed by James Z. Rogers.
the Peterborough Canoe Company were sold as far away as Europe. In
1915, the company bought one of its competitors, the William English
Canoe Company. In 1923, it merged with a New Brunswick canoe maker,
Chestnut Canoes, and became Canadian Watercraft Ltd. Another
Peterborough firm, the Canadian Canoe Company, was bought in 1928.
In 1948 Princess Elizabeth received a 16 foot cedar rib canoe made
by this company as a wedding present from the City of Peterborough.
After World War II, the company became less profitable because of
competition from makers of the new aluminum and fibreglass canoes,
which were easier to mass-produce. The company began to manufacture
wooden powerboats and sailboats, as well as related products such as
duck decoys, water skis and surf boards. In 1961 the company ceased
Still, there are those who are willing to pay extra for a
hand-crafted wooden canoe, and the forms and designs of the
Peterborough canoes are still in use by canoe craftsmen today. The
original boats are now prized as antiques and restored by hobbyists.