Schulschiff Deutschland was given in 1927 by the German Training
Ship Club as the fourth merchant marine training ship in series.
From 1927 to 1939 she undertook training trips overseas and in
North and Baltic Sea.
During World War II cruises were limited and these trips were
only held in the Baltic Sea. After the war the ship was
delivered up as war reparations, returned in 1952.
Between 1949 and 1952, she served three years as a hostel before
it was subsequently used in Bremen as a stationary training ship
for seamen students.
In 1995 she was recognized as a floating monument and renovated
in 1995/1996 in Bremen-Vegesack.
Until July 2001 ship mechanic students lived on board, taking
their classroom training in a school center in Bremen. With the
cessation of such training in Bremen, this aspect of the ships's
Nautical School was closed.
Today, the Schulschiff Deutschland is located in Bremen-Vegesack
where it can be viewed as a maritime memorial or used as
overnight accommodation. It can also be booked for celebrations,
seminars and exhibitions for events. Once a month (all year),
civil weddings are performed and participants can stay overnight
in 30 double cabins and in the master's suite.